Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The wall - Story #2

1996 January. Bengaluru. Conditioning camp of Indian cricket team. Azhar's team for ODI world cup will be announced later that day. Punjab openerVikram Rathore was hopeful about getting a chance. After the team announcement, I went to Rathore's room at night to note his reactions. He was devastated for not making the cut. He made the following remarks: "I can't imagine they left me out. How can they? How can I forget this pain?" He later added, "My roommate is peculiar, he had no reaction at all. No disappointment, nothing. (He) heard the team, said: 'Oh, I'm not in it' and went straight out with his kits."

Fifteen years later, one night at a restaurant in Kolkata, Rahul Dravid  would explain his silent exit from that Bengaluru hotel : "What could I have done? Cry loudly? Leave cricket? I quickly calculated (that) I'm getting four Ranjimatches before team selection for the next England tour. (I) told myself not playing the world cup means you need four centuries in those four matches. (I) did that."

-- Goutam Bhattacharya, an excerpt from Anandabazar Patrika (translated)

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger