Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lessons learned from a day on the greens



Red shiny ball with such beautiful surface that you will always want it to be like that itself. After pitching it in, when it returns back to my hand, I used to, yeah, its in past tense, wipe it clean, put sweat and nicely rub it in my palm. This was eight years back. I still remember it as vividly as yesterday. Maybe that is the reason why I went for the inter BU selection. There was hell lot of players, and not just some casual corporate guys. These were serious players. As expected, the Tamilians were the most enthu guys. It doesn't matter to me. I knew myself as a fast bowler. It turned out like the human robot in Terminator: Salvation. It thinks himself to be human. Truth is – I used to be a fast bowler, and I had never worked on keeping it so.

The truth was ugly, bitter and whatever adjectives that are usually used with this word. I was not bowling fast. I could not even skim the ball. My wrists were paining each time I tried to swing it. I was not tired, but my muscles were not used to this kind of work. They were complaining like Kumbhakarna being woken up in between his sleep. It was not to be as I had hoped. The realization dawned when after almost two overs, my ball was not pitching in right length. I could also find my head was not steady at the time of release. Ah, I should have played more. I had good action, but what is the use without practice. It is said that you don't forget swimming once you learned it. It doesn't hold for cricket. On more consideration, I do not doubt whether football also will be alongside cricket. I should get hold of a ball soon and try it.

- Sept, 06 2010.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger